[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - What Games are you all Playing?

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

What Games are you all Playing?

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: What Games are you all Playing?

Postby gorv on Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:27 pm

gorv
Inertia

Postby Xerox on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:47 pm

Xerox
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Blitz on Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 pm

Blitz
Oingo Boingo

Postby Eulogic on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 am

Eulogic
The Problem

Postby leokef on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 am

I thought the first Modern Warfare was pretty great, but I guess that was three or four sequels ago by now?

I haven't really had much of an opportunity to play our new Wii yet. But I recently acquired Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and, being a fan of the series, I made an effort to play some tonight. Looks to be exactly what I've wanted in a horror game. Slowly paced, centered around exploration, simplified in gameplay, all in an awesome snowy environment. The controls work very well too, and I appreciate how streamlined the experience is. No HUD. No big, screen-replacing menu screens. No ammo to fret about. All you have is an in-game cellphone, though you do have to put up with that huge, stupid wiimote cursor, which I guess is a common fixture of Wii games.

Even so, it's shaping up to be a memorable experience. Unfortunately, it hasn't been very creepy so far, but I like the new focus on more personal, interactive themes and gameplay. I'm coming up on the second nightmare sequence from the looks of it, and I'll be interested in seeing where things go from here.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Blitz on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:03 am

Blitz
Oingo Boingo

Postby Ace! on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:42 am

leo, I'm so glad you got Shattered Memories. That's the most tense and terrified I've ever been in a game, and I only played through to the school. Even once I knew the boundaries that are set (ice = monsters, no ice = no monsters) it's tense, because I expected those rules to break at any moment.

Also, my cop had huge tits because I told the therapist that my favorite course in school was sex-ed. Which is awesome.

I'm probably about halfway through Knights of the Old Republic and... there's a lot in there that's good, but it's totally a product of its era. There's a lot of talking, so much so that I get exhausted sometimes. Each area is only a few screens in size, which gets boring sometimes. And there isn't really a threat, ever, in the game, even with the things or people that kill me quickly and often before I finally figure out what works.

I pumped a lot of points into stealth because I love sneaking around, but there hasn't really been a chance to use it. I broke into someone's house and snuck around, but then I entered into a mandatory conversation, even though I was fucking invisible. So then everything I snuck past came in for a fight. And I can't sneak with all three people, so I had to run my other two people to where I was fighting so they could help me.

This has happened so often, most recently in Manaan. I was told that breaking into the Sith base was dangerous because they would overwhelm me. So I left my friends behind and snuck onto a ship myself. But then, once inside, I found that there weren't enough guards to overwhelm me and that the game lied to me for narrative's sake. There is no way to actually sneak through everything in that fucking base, because of mandatory conversations or doors that need unlocking. So even though I wanted to play some of the game sneaking around, it doesn't actually fucking matter.

Also, because I went for stealth and not for other things, now I don't think I'll ever be smart enough to open up the robot's memories, which sucks because I can't use other characters to do this task, including the fucking character whose repair skill I hulked out in case I had to repair something.

The older I get, the less patience I have for experiments. I am glad the narrative is so strong, though, because I'm enjoying that. But I'm getting bogged down in the mundane. I think after this I'll either play a Star Wars FPS, a JRPG or Jade Empire, a more refined Bioware game.

PS: It is fascinating to see what other people can do within someone else's universe, to see Bioware succeed where Lucas himself failed miserably. That boggles the mind while also not boggling it.

PPS: A big thanks to Tromboner for getting me this game! I don't want to seem ungrateful! It has, after all, occupied 17 hours of my time, in a good way!

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Red Omen on Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:45 am

I have no interest in Medal of Dutiful Warfare. I played the first Assassin's Creed all night once on my then-girlfriend's XBox. While it was addictive at the time, it seemed like little more than a high-budget arcade game (repetitive and action/skill-based) and I had no desire to return to it thereafter.

Ace!: How many Bioware games have you played? Any of those include recent outings, like Mass Effect or Dragon Age?

And yes, stealth is useless. I never used it once. And double yes, the narrative is one of KotOR's best features.
Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Ace! on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:34 am

Just this and Jade Empire. I've heard the first Mass Effect is uneven, but I'm contemplating bringing it back with me next month. I keep hearing how amazing the second one is, but if you need the first one to get it, I suppose I should start there.

They do get better at this, right? Kind of like how Black Isle started with Planescape, which was all story and no game and then balanced the two better in everything else they did?

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 am

Oh, and also, Ass Creed was a super fun arcade game and Modern Warfare was the best FPS/war game I've played. It balanced fun arcadey shooting with solid war driven storytelling. It was flash over substance, which is what a fun FPS always is.

Also, it had multiple shit-my-pants moments. And the sniper flashback is on my all time favorite game moments list.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:36 am

So there.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Kingpun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:55 am

are ... are you referring to the storytelling when you say "flash over substance" is preferable?
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Kingpun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:58 am

also, neither kotor nor torment were any company's first games, not even first very popular games
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Red Omen on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:09 am

Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Kingpun on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 am

mass effect's universe is a stupid mish-mash of star trek and star wars put together so bioware wouldnt have to deal with george lucas to make another kotor game. the characters are all really lame and painful to talk to & the writing in general is bad. it's bad
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!