[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

SKIN?

ORIGINAL MOTHERFUCK
24%
CRISPY
53%
ERM I A FAGGOT AND LIKE ROTISSERIE
24%

Total votes : 17

Re: The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

Postby leokef on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:59 pm

I went back to one of my Lovecraft anthologies and read the one story I left unfinished, The Thing on the Doorstep. It was not particularly good. I relished the return of Innsmouth, but the story largely felt like a less competent retread of The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. He spends too much time building suspense and then, when revelation begins to come, it is almost a caricature of his better sensibilities. He spews ambiguous, half-mad dialogue. At one point Derby goes on for maybe twenty lines. I was reminded of the end of The Haunter of the Dark, where he used maybe two or three lines to much greater effect.

At least Lovecraft made a character worthy of sympathy, Edward Derby, although he had to resort to making him almost entirely autobiographical. The narrator, on the other hand, came across as completely flat with only an affected insecurity. Maybe the best thing about the story is how it reminds one of better stories. I now have the urge to reread Shadow Over Innsmouth. And riding behind that the urge to play Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. If only that game weren't so buggy since I went with Vista 64-bit.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Ace! on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:56 pm

I've been reading very little since I arrived, as I have a horrid book shortage. I have found people who can trade up though, so I'm going to try to read more.

I finished Some We Love, Some We Hate, Some We Eat, and I loved most of it.

It's basically a book about anthrozoology, the study of the effects of animals on humans. I was initially a little disappointed, as the first third of the book is about dogs and only dogs (fuck dogs, am I right?) and I started to get nervous. Thankfully, the book pulled out of that and went back to talking about the things I was interested in, namely what cultural and mental things put blocks in our brains to keep us from eating dogs (or not), or that allow us to kill mice but not kittens.

The entire thing was really interesting and it was very well written and instantly engaging. There was only one section where it felt like he missed something really important. When talking about lab rats, he mentions the genetic alterations that we make in order to test different medical procedures on them. He also mentions that rats in a cage are treated well, but rats in the walls are killed. He even mentions that the rats in the walls are frequently escapees from the labs. There is an interesting moral question here, but what is never discussed is how dangerous letting genetically altered rats into the wild is. That was a little upsetting, as if it was obvious to me, shouldn't it have been obvious to the author?

I think the most interesting section of the book was about cockfighting, which I have always been interested in. Making cockfighting illegal kind of as silly as calling the act of slaughtering dogs for food "animal cruelty". Roosters who fight get years of great life before they rumble. They get exercise, food, all the hens they can bang, and the competition comes from something roosters do naturally. Compare this to the short, three month life of a fryer chicken and tell me which one gets the better deal.

Killing a dog or cat like you would kill a pig or a cow is called animal cruelty, even though we do it to smarter animals every single day. The distinction only comes from what we call food and what we call pets. It's all fascinating to me.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:08 pm

i'm finally reading the millenium trilogy. i'm about 3/4ths done with the girl with the dragon tattoo and it is good. my life has been mystery filled lately, between these books, veronica mars, and professor layton.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:21 pm

If run of the mill, by the numbers, X is for XXXXX mystery is your thing, then you're going to love the last 1/4.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:22 pm

oh good that is exactly my thing!
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Eulogic on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 pm

actually i don't care at all about the mystery but i like the characters so whatever
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:26 pm

I will admit, the characters were fun to follow around. But man, the story got DUMB.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:51 pm

idk, the end wasn't bad. it fits with a lot of themes of the book.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:01 am

That was the first book in years that disappointed and angered me. It looked to be a methodical and original take on the locked room mystery, but then it had to get all dumb and totally flush all its promise in favor of creating a carbon copy serial killer yarn.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Horseboy on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:21 am

Finished Zodiac. I enjoyed reading it, and I learned about new ways of getting high.

Also started the first Dresden Files novel. The TV series was great, so I expect to enjoy this.

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Eulogic on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:13 am

Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah, neither was anyone else. I'm the only person in the world who thought the story was going for realism and not psycho-sexual serial killing. I'm not a huge reader of mysteries either, so I think that's why my expectations were so high. Hell, if everyone loves a mystery, critics included, that means that it must be something special. Have an asshole reporter and an autistic lady as your characters just isn't special enough.

That said, the characters were so enjoyable to be around (most of the time) that I have on more than one occasion contemplated picking up the next book in the series.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:31 pm

i've started it. i'll let you know if it's appreciably different from the first.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 am

Fucking shit, 100 Bullets was incredible. Occasionally hard to follow, intentionally confusing in parts, but all told, a brutal, vulgar story full of sadness and violence. A series of small stories that gradually become one larger story, perfectly paced and told.

Even as the story becomes larger and the pieces come together, the writers still take the time to tell smaller, unconnected stories. Or an entire issue will contain nothing but dialog, the characters talking in the background of an unrelated incident, one that's never happy, and which always feels arbitrary, like so much of the world's violence is.

Another thing it has going for it is that it ends. It has a set story to tell, in 100 issues (the number was probably intentional), and the entire story does end, coming full circle. It never has the chance to get tired or old, it never compromises its characters in order to fill another month of issues.

It's great crime fiction, and it's full of amazing oh shits, all the way to the end.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Horseboy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 am

So Storm Front is pretty good. Not the most amazing novel I've ever read, but hard to put down nevertheless.

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!