[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

SKIN?

ORIGINAL MOTHERFUCK
24%
CRISPY
53%
ERM I A FAGGOT AND LIKE ROTISSERIE
24%

Total votes : 17

Re: The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

Postby Horseboy on Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:24 pm

Finished Storm Front in record time and started Gridlinked. It is kind of silly at first, but it really draws you in.

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Eulogic on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:39 pm

Ace, I'll go ahead and recommend The Girl Who Played With Fire. It's less of a mystery novel and more of a fun action-filled romp based solidly in the lives of the main characters. There are some goofy aspects, but ultimately it is a fun read (and better than the first novel).

Practical fucking pig.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Horseboy on Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:33 am

Ok, so should I read things like War and Peace, Pride and Prejudice, Brothers Karamazov etc?

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Ace! on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:24 am

No.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Yes.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

If it's not for school, do what you want. You'll grow no matter what you read.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Horseboy on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:28 am

People are always like "omg masterpiece" but then I look them up on amazon and they have like thirty thousand pages and I don't know if I will have the patience for that, especially since it would be hard to carry them around. Maybe I should wait until I get a Kindle or similar some day.

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Ace! on Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:32 pm

There are modern masterpieces too. I'm not discounting the "classics", but some of them are only classics because people have been reading them for hundreds of years, not because they're automatically great.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Smasha on Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Pride and Prejudice isn't too long. And it reads pretty fast. It is very much worth your while.

I liked Mansfield Park and Sense and Sensibility better though.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Ace! on Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:19 pm

And this is why we have the thread. Smasha came in and recommended some classics that I (for example) couldn't. Try one, if you like it, try the others he mentioned. If not, come and argue senselessly like the rest of us.

One thing I didn't really realize until after I was all done with school was that I am free to read whatever I want. It's a great feeling.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:21 am

Also, that sounded snitty when it really wasn't supposed to be. I'm sorry guys! I love you!

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Horseboy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 am

Finished reading both Gridlinked and that book about them there Irishmen. Both were pretty good. Especially the latter, it makes history seem so interesting.

Now I am reading the first Discworld novel. Pretty great so far.

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Kingpun on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:10 am

the first couple of discworld books are good but not that great compared to most of the later ones
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Kingpun on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:13 am

it picks up really fast though, first city watch book + 2nd witches book are old favourites
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby pwb on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:27 pm

My very favorite Discworld book is still the one-off Small Gods, which was the first I read. There's a ton of good ones though!
pwb
is pretty rad!

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!