[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Attn: Computer Dorks! I Need Your Help! (tech help thread)

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Attn: Computer Dorks! I Need Your Help! (tech help thread)

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Attn: Computer Dorks! I Need Your Help! (tech help thread)

Postby pwb on Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:26 am

woo so there was a partition on the hard drive what let me do a system restore so I got my little cpu back to its out of box condition

installed microsoft security essentials right away and everything is going great, thanks for the suggestions/help everyone!
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby Alceste on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Not so much a tech question. So I'm now well-rounded on solid torrent sites for music, movies/shows, and games but... is there a really good site for music videos?
Alceste
Usurper

Postby Red Omen on Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:04 am

Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Alceste on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:56 am

Why, that's a nice little extension I was unaware existed. Much thanks!

Hmm... but as a follow-up, and maybe I'm being greedy, would there be a place to get high-quality videos if those on Youtube don't get past 480?
Alceste
Usurper

Postby Red Omen on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:32 am

Afraid I can't help you there. I understand my solution was a bit half-ass.
Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Ace! on Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Does anyone know how to create a torrent? I've been trying over at Demonoid, and, even after following their steps to the letter, the fucking thing keeps disappearing. Their forums are dead, so I can't ask anyone there for help, and I really want to get this thing up and running.

Here's what I've done:

I've created a torrent of a directory that has the file and Demonoid's required .txt. I've uploaded the torrent to the site, and received an email telling me that I was successful. My last attempt actually showed me the torrent up on the site. But now it's gone.

Look for The Womanchaser and see if you can find it (and if you can and this is all a mistake, get it! It's a movie that has all but disappeared and hasn't had a DVD release and has Patrick Warburton and must not be allowed to die!)

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Kingpun on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:02 am

try another site
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby leokef on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Ach, my computer's freezing several times a day. Not BSODing but freezing. Sometimes it'll happen just a few minutes after I've logged on to Windows--and before I've done anything else. So I'd think background programs, unless it's hardware. But it's not like I have any more background programs than I did a month ago when things were fine. What areas should I be focusing on.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby mulligan on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Try updating your video drivers...or if you have recently updated try rolling back. I know sometimes at work the video drivers have caused machines to freeze up.
mulligan
La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Postby Flamewave on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:31 pm

It could be a lot of issues. Drivers, malware or a dying piece of hardware. Updating drivers is usually pretty easy and reformatting would eliminate the driver and malware possibilities easily, especially for malware that evades scans (although to be fair I hate reformatting myself, time consuming; if you have a spare HDD you're not using you could just try installing windows on that and see if the problem persists). If it's hardware start with all the nonessentials. I had a DVD drive cause freezing issues for me once. And it could also be videocard or mobo.
Last edited by Flamewave on Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flamewave
Usurper

Postby Buttercup on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Buttercup
Usurper

Postby leokef on Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:26 pm

I just updated my drivers and I think I'll hop over to Vista on my other drive and scan this one for viruses. That said, I may have noticed a pattern yesterday. I found myself playing some Starcraft 1 for most of the night. I don't think I encountered a freeze that day. Then I started a torrent, lots of seeds and lots of leeches. Seems like I started getting issues then, particularly when I was seeding back. I recall seeing it upload like mad, going back to Starcraft and then having three freezes in a row (pissed me off royally). Finally noticed the correlation, shut down uTorrent, and didn't have another freeze that night.

So now I'm thinking either network, malware/virus or HD. I ran chkdsk on bootup and it repaired a few bad clusters (I think in the system restore folders) and a corrupt descriptor or something. Not too reassuring, but this HD is the newest one I have and only a year or so old maybe. I'd like to use more thorough HD-checking software, but as it turns out, Western Digital's website is for crap. I burned a boot disc of their Data Lifeguard Tools, but it refused to boot. Kept saying "Unable to locate license agreement" even though it's on the friggin' disc. Google helpfully tells me that lots of other people have gotten this problem, and WD's shit's probably just broken.

Any suggestions for HD scanning software?
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby soujiRo on Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:14 am

soujiRo
Brother Grimm

Postby leokef on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:00 pm

I'll have to see about giving that a try if I can't get Data Lifeguard tools to work. It seems like I went two days without freezing and then yesterday I got hit four times. One time, as I rebooted, I got a "Chassis intruded - fatal error" message. I looked that up and nothing made sense to me. I checked my comp, checked the jumpers, checked all cords and connections, cleared out the dust, etc.

I started using my Vista installation on another drive today to definitively make sure it's not a general hardware issue. Also going to wait until I can do some deep scanning of the XP HD. So far so good, no freezes. Although using Vista has reminded me of another issue I've had.

Does this make sense to anyone: Whenever my computer goes into standby in Vista (and maybe generally, I long ago stopped using sleep mode in XP), it never resumes operation properly. Upon booting, it erases the BIOS settings and I have to configure everything again.

Craziness never seems to end.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Flamewave on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:51 pm

Using standby/sleep etc is just asking for trouble imho, I've never seen it work quite right on any platform.

As far as your freezes go, I'm thinking it may be an early sign that your mobo is going judging by the chassis message, though it could've just been a random event. I think the true test is if you get another freeze under Vista (I feel so sorry for you :( ) or not.
Flamewave
Usurper

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!