[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Recommend me a series...

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Recommend me a series...

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Recommend me a series...

Postby ploppy on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 pm

Louie is television on another level for me. I still havent seen the last episode. I've been watching and re-watching other episodes. I'm not ready to take that last bite just yet. Im more than happy it got a 2nd season and wouldnt want him to do more than 4.

I've been meaning to find a way to watch all the Ugly Americans I've missed. The episodes I've been catching have been utterly brilliant. I saw the first few episodes and saw that there was potential but the show hasn't hit it's stride yet. Saw one of the new episodes involving birdmen and it just fucking killed me. Glad to see the assy mcgee guys doing a good show.
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby ploppy on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:15 pm

ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby Kingpun on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:25 am

the last episode you mean the over-the-top one, that was pretty emotional i wasnt quite expecting that. i got hazy recollection though since i just watched em when they were new
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Kingpun on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:29 am

Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby ploppy on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:56 pm

ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby Ace! on Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:22 am

Bored to Death gets better with every episode, but makes it so great isn't the story or even the writing, it's the characters and the actors. The three main characters have such a rapport, I can actually believe that Danson, Schwartzman and Galifinakis hang out like this on a daily basis. All three of them just have so much fun with each other that it feels completely genuine.

Danson is a magazine editor. Schwartzman freelances for him and is a private detective on the side. Galifinakis is a comic book writer, whose hero has an enormous cock that he fights with. Things happen to them, they get high, they kind of have adventures. But mostly, they talk. And the talk is always fun to listen to. It's a warm show, where nothing bad actually ever happens, and it makes me feel good just watching it.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 am

The last episode of the Venture Brothers might be my favorite ever.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby ploppy on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Wasn't it really amazing? This half of the season was easily the best half. It kind of feels like a series finale almost. Maybe a movie after this to fully end everything.

I'm glad .

It was up there with Cremation Creek for best episode.

Can't say I was happy with the But you cant win em all I guess.

HEY ALIENS. FIX IT
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby Martin Penwald on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:09 pm

Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby BaconFat on Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:26 pm

Yeah there are definitely shows that warrant multiple series. The problem is that networks try to shoehorn series suited to shorter runs into never-ending money machines.
BaconFat
Teuton

Postby Ace! on Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 am

My third time through Twin Peaks has drawn to a close. While it always makes me sad, this time through, due to our protracted viewing of the series, I noticed more of its flaws. Before, when four to six episodes were viewed a night, it was easier to get through the three unsteady episodes that prominently featured James' adventure, Nadine's return to high school and Ben Horne's Civil War reenactment. But this time, when we were watching one or two a night, the sudden shift from dark and menacing to light and goofy was very noticeable. It really does feel like they got pushed into revealing Laura Palmer's killer a few episodes early, and were suddenly left with their light and happy B stories as the A stories. Sure, Windham Earle was introduced in those episodes, as was Josie's backstory, but that stuff wasn't enough to hold off the super silly 30 minutes each episode.

It also feels like the last five years of television has taken away some of the wonder of Twin Peaks. My last viewing must have been in '04, before I started watching TV again. Back then, Twin Peaks WAS television. Today, I see its cliches and its pretty poor acting. I still get totally sucked in, however, and find myself instantly engaged each time.

I cannot reccommend Twin Peaks enough, and it is something that will always be close to my heart. The final scene is still heartbreaking, and the final episode is still terrifying.

David Lynch, however, is the ultimate "take my ball and go home" director. Granted, he doesn't ever have to do anything for anyone else ever again, but man. Fire Walk With Me is a frustrating, nonsensical piece of steaming shit, and instead of continuing to tell the story that was already in progress when the show was canceled, he decided to revisit the Laura Palmer storyline, just with more boobies and less sense and class. In the show, the reveal of Laura's killer was tragic and painful, and it made sense because we had spent so many hours with these characters. We had the time to see them deal with their grief, to see them unravel the mystery. And, looking back, we had plenty of clues all along, which only made it more terrifying when we found out who did it.

But in Fire Walk With Me, we know from the beginning, and the killer's harrassment of Laura is hilarious instead of terrifying. It's out of place, constant and overdone to the point of high comedy. It's not classy and it hardly tells Laura's story effectively. The story of Twin Peaks is, ultimately, about a place where the food tastes a little better, where the air is a little cleaner, but where an evil lurks in the woods, just out of sight, which might be the trade off for all these good things. It's also the story of a small town coming to terms with the murder of its prom queen and the many shocking revelations that come out because of it.

It's not a story of a girl living in terror. Even in the show,

Lynch did it again with Mullholland Dr., a great pilot that every single network passed on. So what does he do? He takes the pilot, follows the two least interesting characters and adds an hour of total nonsense (and boobies) and takes home countless prizes and nominations, and a huge box office return. He's an incredible manipulator, playing the biggest joke on his fans, and had he not done that to Twin Peaks, I'd love him for it. Instead, I just like him for it. I guess.

But man. Really? It's just not fair.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Martin Penwald on Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:12 pm

I hate Mulholland Drive so much.
Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby Ace! on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Terriers has the same easygoing, laid back feel that the Rockford Files did, and for that alone I'm really enjoying it. It does have a through story or two that hover in the background, but each of the three episodes I've seen so far have different A stories, unlike Rockford.

I'm really enjoying being with these characters.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Martin Penwald on Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:46 pm

Eureka S03Ep09 made me laugh out loud, something that happens only rarely.
Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby Eulogic on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 pm

This thread has been temporarily locked to test the usefulness of the subforums. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Eulogic
The Problem

Previous

Return to Serious Business!