[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Recommend me a series...

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Recommend me a series...

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Recommend me a series...

Postby Ace! on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:48 pm

I second that emotion. BSG is one of the all time greats.

I think this string of Venture Bros. episodes are among my favorite. I really like the idea of episodic episodes that vaguely take place within a singular narrative. It also feels like the writing has finally been refined to such a sublime point, like they finally tweaked everything to perfection. It's funny, but it's not based on one-liners as much as it is on entire situations and trope mockery. It's quite nice.

Also, I really, really want Running Wilde to be good, it just isn't. At least the first episode wasn't. I really hope Hurwitz' brilliance wasn't due to the perfect storm of incredible performers who decided to commit three years of their lives to his singular vision.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:27 am

Man, Lucky Louie is a really weird show. It's clearly modeled after the standard sitcom, even down to the three cameras and quickly built sets. Every set has an echo, when walls are pounded on, there's a hollow sound. It follows the formula, even down to the pace of the banter, the delivery of the one-liners.

The big difference is that this show is crass, and there's something about the sitcom setup that makes the vulgarity even funnier.

But what makes me feel weird is the laughing. At the beginning of the show they make it very clear that this is a live audience. But it feels kind of like a laugh track, which is instantly off putting for me, even though I know those are real people, even though there are scenes where the actors are clearly holding for the laugh.

It's also totally weird to see Laura Kightlinger in something other than Stand Up Stand Up.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 am

The vast majority of "laugh tracks" are actually a studio audience.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Lightbunny on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Somewhat on the subject of BSG, Caprica started up again a few weeks ago.

I really dig Caprica. BSG really tried to hammer home the point that this was supposed to be Humanity at its best.

It's nice to see the flipside of the coin, and that we apparently really deserved that whole Cylon Genocide thing.
Lightbunny
Pepsi-Cola

Location: Massachusetts. Keeping New Hampshire Nervous Since 2004!

Postby Eulogic on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:56 pm

caprica is just ok
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby gorv on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:57 pm

gorv
Inertia

Postby Ace! on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby BaconFat on Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:54 pm

I'd already given up watching 30 Rock because it's so awful now. However some friends made me watch the Live episode... and I was without words. It was bad. Really bad. It was worse than Two and a Half Men.

I know that's a big call.

That episode of 30 Rock was worse than Two and a Half Men.
BaconFat
Teuton

Postby Ace! on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:20 pm

That is a false statement. Also, I think the show is just as good as it's been since the third season. It makes me laugh frequently throughout every episode. It certainly WAS bad in the first season, but I don't think it could be called bad today.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:46 pm

Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:52 pm

Lucky you, you can ignore it. Years of TGIF, Will and Grace, Friends and the like have ruined the sitcom for me. But to be fair, the aforementioned sitcoms appeared on the scene spoiled.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby rem on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:29 pm

I thought the 30 Rock live episode was stupid as hell but it was a gimmick episode and every other episode has been gold so far.
rem
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Ace! on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Okay, that first episode of The Walking Dead gives me a lot of hope. It was quite good, and quite true to the comics, as in it wasn't focused on zombies but on interpersonal relationships after the world ends, which is what made the comics so awesome. There would be zombie bits, but then there would be entire arcs of character interaction, stress and violence. Then more zombies.

This was a lot like that.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:50 am

This season of Kenny Powers isn't nearly as good as the last one, but it's still pretty good. Especially this last episode, with Don Johnson. He was amazing. Also:

This made me laugh real hard.

"STOP IT! STOP LOOKING AT ME SHIT!"

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby ploppy on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Louie is turning out to be that series I always wanted but never imagined could exist. I'm watching Season 1 on netflix and I'm taking my sweet sweet time with it. It's just so honest and down to earth and I love how it's juxtaposed by such outrageous and at times soul crushing moments. Whats even better is that I really enjoy Louis CK stand up and it's integrated so well into the episodes. It's Seinfeld and it's the anti Seinfeld.

Ricky Gervais utterly destroyed me as doctor ben.

Last night I watched the episode where he goes to the south and man oh man was it unsettling and hilarious.
ploppy
Angel's Friend

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!