[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Recommend me a series...

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Recommend me a series...

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Recommend me a series...

Postby pwb on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:03 pm

pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby Buttercup on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:24 pm

Two words: Alec Baldwin.

I personally really enjoy 30 Rock, but I also enjoy Tracy Morgan for some odd reason.
Buttercup
Usurper

Postby Ace! on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:11 pm

Well p, I didn't. I watched the first two episodes, then stopped and got angry as it continually beat Studio 60 week after week. Somewhere in the second season, some friends made me promise to watch, so I did and I liked what I saw. The second season was pretty damned funny. Then the first season was up on the Instant Netflix, so I went back and forced myself to sit through the first half, which was pretty awful. But then the second half got better and better with each episode. And so a fan was born.

I think Tracy Morgan is funny just about all the time. He's one of those personalities that makes me laugh just looking at him.

Oh, yes. And Alec Baldwin is the best part of that show, and has been from the beginning. His scenes were the best even when the show wasn't.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby ploppy on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:29 am

If i want amazing Alec Baldwin the 6 episodes of Clerks the animated series is enough for me honestly. I try to avoid Tina Fey like the plague.
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby mulligan on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Anyone watch The Walking Dead? I thought it was a pretty cool start and I will definitely be tuned in next week to see if it maintains AMCs now stellar record of programming. I haven't read most of the comic book series, and what I did read was back in 2005 so I don't remember much other than it being pretty cool, so I can't really say how close to the source content the show was.
mulligan
La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Postby ploppy on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Orual and I recently finished Jim Hensons: The Storyteller Greek Myths on netflix instant. It's 4 episodes long and really a stellar showcase for what henson does best, tell stories. It takes on 4 different popular greek myths and they all have a great cast of actors (the 2nd one has the bad guy from True Lies as the protagonist!). The puppetry is pretty marvelous, not Labyrinth marvelous, its much more subtle in it's use but its still wonderful.

I think it's biggest selling point is Michael Gambon as the narrator. He really makes the stories just come alive.

If you have netflix instant you should totally check it out!
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby pwb on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:22 pm

Finally saw the pilot episode of Louie, and it was very good. My favorite part was the naked apartment lady, and also his awkward conversation about his daughter's infected vagina.
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby Ace! on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

I'm halfway through the first episode of The Event, and I kind of hate that I'm getting sucked in. The timeline is cut to pieces and rearranged in order to make things that aren't confusing confusing, but when it works, it honestly works. In the first thirty minutes they set up a terrorist organization, supersecret government operations, a protagonist and his love interest, and a black president.

I have to say, I really like how certain aspects of this comes together. Things like a plane being taken over, and then, ten minutes later, the president getting into a car and stopping, looking up at the plane coming down at him. I'm a sucker for loose ends tied up really well.

That said, I hate it when a show does something unrealistic that didn't need to happen. When a car explodes when a bullet hits the gas tank, that's okay, because explosions are awesome. But when a car is trying to catch up to a plane and does so by driving right behind the engine, that's dumb and lazy. That car would have been blown back by the force of the jet, and all the writers needed to do was have the car drive off to the side. And then, later, a guy stupidly dove off a cliff into frothy water, at a cave entrance that pulls water in to force it through a blowhole. The story needed someone to save a drowning girl, and it could have happened anywhere.

That's just lazy.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:07 pm

Okay, the airplane that was going to hit the president got swallowed up in a portal in the air. Fuck this show. I'm going to be the bigger man and I'm going to walk away.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby BaconFat on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:53 pm

Good job. You're a better man than the people who kept watching Lost.

I've got a colony of bacteria settling in my throat. Whilst attempting to eradicate them with antibiotics and lying on the couch I'm binging my way through the first seasons of Mad Men. Have I ever mentioned how great that show is? It's great.
BaconFat
Teuton

Postby Ace! on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 pm

I watched all of Lost, and I'm not ashamed. This is trying to be that, though, and it's not doing it nearly as well.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Flamewave on Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:24 am

I've been following The Event on Hulu. It had me at extraterrestrials.

I've never seen Lost though so I can't compare.
Flamewave
Usurper

Postby Ace! on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:07 am

Man... I kept going... I think , but don't say it too loudly or they're going to change it to something dumber.

I need my job to start already.

I watched all of the first season of Breaking Bad today (I NEED my job to start already), and I'm glad I stuck with it. The first few episodes were a little uneven, or they were uneven as a whole, and some of the things that happened weren't delivered very solidly (the partner's parents and little brother having the perfect family conversation before the addict arrived), and considering it's a show about drugs, there was too much time away from the drugs.

Also, I'm kind of having a hard time pulling for this guy. It's getting better now, but for the first four episodes I was glad that the asshole with a heart of gold cop brother-in-law was around so I would have a protagonist I could get behind. He's a jerk, but he means well and he does good work. And meth... I'm having a really hard time, even now that I'm on the last episode of season one, pulling for this guy only because of the meth. I get it, he's a chemistry teacher, so he needs a drug that uses that, and they did a good job with talking about how fucked up meth is from the beginning, but still... Still. Fucking meth.

By way of comparison (and the comparison is only based on core plot), I can pull for the protagonists in Weeds because it's just selling marijuana. But the scene in Breaking Bad where the uncle takes Walt Jr. to the motel to show him the effects of drug use, that was a sobering reminder of what our hero is responsible for.

And I like it, but I don't know if I like it, you know? The show is getting better every episode, and I'm getting more and more engaged, but it's not always fun to watch, and the attempts at levity don't really work all that well, as it's surrounded by cancer and meth.

I know this sounds really negative, but it's really not. This is a neat show, and I'm really excited to see where it goes.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby ploppy on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 am

ploppy
Angel's Friend

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!