[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - The indie gaming thread.

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

The indie gaming thread.

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

The indie gaming thread.

Postby Smasha on Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:04 am

Games Index:

TANE: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7023&start=0

Yume Nikki: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7086

Au Sable and All of our Friends are Dead: see below.

When Pigs Fly: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=3

La La Land: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=6

Tower of Heaven: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=11

Queens: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=15

Passage: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=20

Execution: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=23

Spelunky: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=25

Rescue the Beagles: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=26

You Only Live Once: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=31

You Have To Burn The Rope: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=32

You Have To Defecate Upon King Bhumibol: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=34

Execution (parody): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=34

You Have To Fertilize The Egg: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=34

Canabalt: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=37

VVVVVV: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=42

Deity of Hostility: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=44

Head Over Heels: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=45

Icy Tower: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=45

Small Worlds: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=46

Auditorium: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6881&start=2896

Blocksum: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=52

Apocalypse Adventure: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=62

GameDesign.Jp Japanese Mahjong: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=71

Hydorah: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=106

WTF Story (Cave Story Mod): viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1114&p=176448#p176448

Where We Remain: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=114

Monaco: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=115

Owlboy: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=115

Rocketbirds Revolution: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=115

SHANK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=115

Minecraft: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=117

Digital: A Love Story: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=118

Stranded 2: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=127

Garry's Mod: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=130

Portal: The Flash Version: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5929&start=757

Within a Deep Forest: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=24

Police Quest: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=198

The Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=199

Action Fist: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=132

Transformice: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=135

Skulltag: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7432

Math Land: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohoordenenthurnuk: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Rara Racer: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

hush: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Missing: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Computer Aided Design: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Cat got Lost: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Trigger: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

lacrimosa: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

The Terrible Whiteness of Appalachian Nights: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Defect: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Judith: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Space Funeral: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=145

Super Crate box: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=146

Recommendation Lists, News Sources, and Developers Index:

/v/'s Recommended Freeware Games: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=41

anna anthropy's blog: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=43

Retrospec: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=45

Free Lunch Design: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=45

Christian Wagner's blog: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=49

Independent Games Festival: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=115

Pixel Prospector's 235 Indie Games In 10 Minutes: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=139

Pixel Prospector's 190 Indie Games In 10 Minutes: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=140

Increpare's Games: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127&start=142

Development Tools Index:

Unity 3: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=6

XNA Creator's Club: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=6

Garage Games Torque Game Builder: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=6

Open Frameworks: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=6

Farbs Pycap: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=6

Unreal Development Kit: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7286&start=6

These games threaten you with fates worse than death. Both contain physical torture, wrenching loss, necromancy, the apocalypse, and glimpses of hell. Worst of all, you become implicated in the immorality.

AOOFAD, when I first played it, struck me as the best game I knew of for playing alone and in the dark.

Shooting platformers, with aiming done through the mouse. Both can be finished in a single sitting. The art (including "music") and storytelling are the best parts of these games; as platformers go, the level design and controls are not polished. But the level design does have its moments in both games, and most of the "boss fights" are original.

AOOFAD was released first, last spring. Au Sable is new.

A few people online have commented on this, and I quite agree: AOOFAD is a sexual dramatization, but is far short of being an erotic one. A certain sinking nausea imposes on you; if you are willing to play the interpreting game, you might find that this game depicts insemination and fertilization in the most frightening possible light.

It's something of a horror staple for the haunted dwelling itself to be an evil that must be vanquished, but Au Sable's take on this is particularly effective. You are on a frantic search; destruction is not your primary goal. But four times, at least, walls crash down around you; your desperation becomes a rampage. The startle and confusion is weighed against a satisfaction in bringing down the homes of these bizarre (cultists? demons?), but this in turn is replaced with disgust when the corpses of the structures are revealed to contain actual veins and bones.

It creeps up on me when I play, how similar the most common block tile in both these games appears to a block tile featured in happy, colourful Super Mario Bros.

Last edited by Smasha on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 41 times in total.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Re: Au Sable & All of our Friends are Dead (w/ screenshots).

Postby The Tromboner on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:57 pm

I played through both of these this past week, and found them to be as unsettling as you described. I will have to play them again to be able to say anything past first impressions about them, but I walked away from each very satisfied.
^ Thank you, orual.
The Tromboner
Alphabet Soup

Postby stan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:59 pm

yeah i couldn't beat the second level of aoofad, but i liked au sable a lot. i really liked the scene when you got the spike gun, that was well done.
stan
Left Tackle

Postby Smasha on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Have we no choice, but to revere you?

Yes, that was well done. And the "boss" directly before it was brilliant, one of the very best parts of either game. Throughout Au Sable the life-death categories are crossed, but that particular boss crosses the mechanical-spiritual categories.

stan, it would be cool if you could give AOOFAD another chance. The game really picks up toward the end (though perhaps the final stage itself is a reduction in pace and mood) and I don't think the game has any particularly difficult moments.

One thing that impresses me about these games is that, despite being very linear in stage progression and providing you with little incentive to explore, I find these games hold up to multiple playings. The spookiness and weirdness is retained even after you know where everything is. Amon26 is a good artist.

In case anyone is interested. Shortly after Amon26 finished AOOFAD he released a short preview of Au Sable. It has one scene that is substantially different from its finished counterpart (and perhaps closer in tone to AOOFAD). Here's a link:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/8bwd0y

Also, Amon26 does music for other games. For something completely different from Au Sable and AOOFAD, listen to When Pigs Fly:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/505307
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Blitz on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:05 pm

played through AOOFAD, loved the ending

gonna play au sable now
Blitz
Oingo Boingo

Postby stan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:32 pm

Oh I plan to. The only reason I'm not is because my desktop's hard drive died and I'm now on my laptop with only a touchpad. It worked really well for Au Sable because of the stilted combat mechanics and lack of crosshair, but AOF is a bit too combat heavy and difficult to get it too work. Just freaking squids bouncing everywhere and I can't fucking hit them but they always hit me, sending me back to the beginning of the level.

On the upside the lack of gaming computer has given me a chance to mess with scratchware and indie shit again. I finally gave the La La Lands a chance, for example. Those were... interesting. Not really games, not really art. They kind of insult the gamer's relationship with the game, and I think I'll remember them for the rest of my life.
stan
Left Tackle

Re: Au Sable (new version) & All of our Friends are Dead.

Postby Smasha on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:59 pm

I need to apologize to you all. It turns out that the version of Au Sable I was linking to, version 1.0, was not the latest one. I updated the first post with the new version.

However, the final battle is substantially different between the versions, and if you like these games a lot I think it is worth your while to see both.

Au Sable version 1.2:
http://bit.ly/xXvnq

stan, the La La Lands are great. Were you able to finish the first one? It does have an "ending." My favourites are the first and third.

In case anyone else wants to play. The first La La Land is hard to find, but is included here:
Download: http://www.dessgeega.com/LaLaLand.zip

More Info. But don't read the comments section, unless you get really stuck, since the comments contains spoilers.
http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=264
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby stan on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 pm

No, I didn't realize it had any point.
stan
Left Tackle

Postby ~ on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Didn't realize Amon had a new game out. I loved AAOFAD, so I'll definitely give Au Sable a try.
~
Crash Override

Postby Alceste on Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:33 pm

AOOFAD was okay, I thought Au Sable was much better. The end battle was slightly different between 1.0 and 1.2, however the ending was completely different. The 1.2 ending was creepier, but I overall like the wrap-up of the 1.0 version better.
Alceste
Usurper

Postby stan on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Smasha, care to make this an indie gaming thread? I've been getting interested in the scene for a couple of weeks, evidence suggests you've been into it for a while and I'd like some friends to discuss gaming with in an enlightened manner!! or something!
stan
Left Tackle

Postby Smasha on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Over the past year or so in your absence there have been some heated discussions here over the staleness of our forum index and the proliferation of long threads in our forums. Eulogic was probably the most vocal in saying that rather than putting everything into existing threads each cool new thing we found should get its own thread. Part of the idea was to make specific things easier to find. Another part was to keep the forum index moving, so outsiders would find this place active and inviting, but also so that people would be encouraged to make threads to talk about things that don't fit into any of the categories represented by our long threads (movies, television, anime, smiles and frowns, etc.).

That said, I think I'd prefer a single indie gaming thread. It would allow me to share games I liked but that are perhaps less outstanding than or Amon's games and hence not deserving of their own threads. I'd be willing to try maintaining in the first post links to all the games in the thread, allowing for even easier navigation than if we had one new thread for each game.

I'm going to PM the mods right now and ask what they think. Unless they object, this is our indie gaming thread.

In the spirit of things:

One of its strengths is its music. Very effective use of a motif-melody, something that I find gets tacky in games longer than this. My favourite ToH songs are "Stairway to Revelation" and "Luna Ascension." Simple waveform percussion!

The musician, flashygoodness, has an extensive music gallery on DA. But I find the songs don't quite loop right.
http://flashygoodness.deviantart.com/ar ... -117339174
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Re: The indie gaming thread.

Postby stan on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:28 pm

fuck eulogic

I played ToH a few weeks ago. I thought it was great, but short. Far too short. It felt like a tutorial, and when I thought the tutorial was over the game was over. The monochrome gameboy style was great, the arbitrary rules were great, but as soon as you got the point of the game and were ready to start playing some of the challenge levels... roll credits.
stan
Left Tackle

Postby Smasha on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:32 pm

I thought it was an interesting take on the old trope in Japanese games.

As far as I know, Gameboy had four shades, ToH only uses three. But still, the Gameboy inspiration is clear.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Blitz on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:37 pm

I just tried playing La La Land but it wouldn't work. Does anyone have a link to that thing that supposedly fixes Game Maker games for Vista/7?
Blitz
Oingo Boingo

Next

Return to Serious Business!