[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - The indie gaming thread.

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

The indie gaming thread.

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: The indie gaming thread (now indexed).

Postby Red Omen on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:59 pm

Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Ugly Anime Hornet on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:35 pm

Adding to the list of things worth playing. even in it's 1 stage demo state it already proves to be one of the few indie games worth anticipating. It has a trailer too, so you can atleast get a jist of what it is befre downloading the demo.
Ugly Anime Hornet
Crash Override

Postby Smasha on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 pm

Oh, hi Geona.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Re: The indie gaming thread.

Postby Ugly Anime Hornet on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey!how's it going?
Ugly Anime Hornet
Crash Override

Postby JM_Zen on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10 pm

I can't get into Spelunky.

There, I said it.
JM_Zen
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Ace! on Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:10 pm

You and me both, buddy. I really, really wanted to like it, it just frustrated me to no end.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby ploppy on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:49 pm

yeah same here.
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby Ace! on Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:29 pm

So, I finally finished VVVVVV. It took me about an hour and a half, all told, and over seven hundred deaths. I found eleven trinkets and didn't really care enough to find the rest. But man, was that a neat little game. Nothing new, really, but really damn fun. There were a few moments where the game was unfair, but most of the time the challenges it puts in front of you are difficult yet manageable. Any time there's dodging on a conveyor belt, you're fucked until you get lucky. And in the last section there's a series of rubber bands, all which end in a spike just to fuck you even more. That one part was the hardest according to the game, as it took me fifty three fucking deaths just to get through it.

That said, it was a nice time.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby mobilisq on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:32 pm

i hated the gravitron but everything else was quite fun
mobilisq
Chutzpah

Postby Smasha on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

mobilisq linked us to WTF story on the "what games" thread. I can't really get into it. I don't like its tone or attitude so far. And it's picky about where you have to stand when checking the cable; I thought I checked it when I didn't and I wasted time backtracking, not knowing what else to do if checking the cable does nothing.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1114&p=176448#p176448
http://www.miraigamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1478

Today I bring you another of anna's recommendations. Where We Remain. Think about that title for a moment. It sets the mood really well.

Play (flash): http://twofoldsecret.com/our-games/where-we-remain/
anna's blurb: http://www.auntiepixelante.com/?p=532

Mood is one thing the game does well. The waves on the beach. Running and picking flowers. The darkening sky. The booming howl when your opponents chase you. Nervewracking fear and frustration. A visceral experience, for sure, for such a simple and low-tech game. A lot doesn't seem right in this world. And when you expect an answer why, you just get another deferral.

The frustration is what turned me away. The game isn't balanced. Sometimes you win right away because the girl you're looking for is randomly - er, "procedurally" - placed right near where you start. Is this a game of skill or chance? Sometimes I labour gathering items only to be killed just when entering the final cave. Other times the game ends before it really begins. Even besides this, not all the maps seem even approximately equally easy. I'm especially flustered when all the safe places are clustered together, or when there are a lot of thin paths leading to dead ends. Most of the items are pretty well balanced, but not the winged shoes, which just seem like a mistake in the game, something that was supposed to help but ends up being a handicap. There are too many trees and narrow paths for you to take advantage of the high top speed of the shoes; in a game where you need to dart around into corners looking for caves, the low acceleration of the shoes is a big problem.

I did finish it on all three difficulties, and I got all the flowers on beginner. Rather than find the secret endings myself, I just read through the hints page (the one provided by the developers) and a copy of the game's script on Jay Is Games.

I was worried at first that the storytelling was kinda hack, since it seemed all of the story was revealed by reading randomly placed notes lying around. Very done. I didn't play on normal difficulty until after finishing on beginner, but in normal mode you encounter notes not available in beginner that combine instructions on how to play with bits from the backstory. This seemed so backward. All the survival strategies in the notes I had already learnt, without being told, from trial and error in beginner mode. Won't most people play beginner first? Shouldn't the hints be there?

But the game is well written, and the use of randomly placed notes turns out to be somewhat justified. The game jerks you around by changing how hard it is to find the girl and . So eventually, all you care about is piecing together the story (and finding the secret endings). But the time you spend reading puts you at risk of the monsters. And you won't know the order of the story fragments or even the voices they represent until after reading them more than once. Gathering the story is the hardest part of the game; the only thing that keeps you playing is the compelling story. A convention is being defied here. This isn't Zelda, completed when you find the last heart or Skultula, long after the world has revealed its story to you. The story, in Where We Remain, is the Skultulas. And the game (insofar as we can abstract it from the story) is really about exploration and survival, so it makes sense that exploration and survival are needed to discover the background. But it all wasn't enough to keep me interested.

Really though, the game is well written, and the relationship between story and storytelling might, in the final analysis, be the best part of the whole game. I don't really know; I read the script outside the game; my experience isn't the same as someone getting the story through the game. But even reading it elsewhere gave me the chills. [Minor hints, nothing concrete:]

Brilliant ideas. But can the game keep you interested enough for you to even know they are there?

Well, if not, click through the spoiler tags in the link below, and read the game script. If you don't want spoilers, the link below also has a spoiler-free review that's pretty good.

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2010/01/ ... remain.php
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby ploppy on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:17 pm

This years IGDF noms look pretty impressive.

Monaco has me drooling, probably the music though!

Owlboy has me very very interested

Rocketbirds Revolution looks beyond over the top and cool.
http://vimeo.com/7346946

And I just want to play the hell out of SHANK
http://vimeo.com/6775991
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby Red Omen on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:37 pm

The music for Monaco is just Carnival of the Animals (Saint-Saëns) near as I can tell.

The other three have really great graphics.
Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby JM_Zen on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:39 pm

JM_Zen
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Xerox on Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:52 pm

is really cool. It's like Uplink-lite, but in a good way. I'm stuck getting in to Arpanet though.
Xerox
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Eulogic on Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Eulogic
The Problem

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!