[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - The indie gaming thread.

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

The indie gaming thread.

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: The indie gaming thread.

Postby Smasha on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:59 am

Can anyone actually get this to work?

http://www.transformice.com/en/index.html

I'm seeing references to it on the Internet and it has been plugged in Kotaku. I've tried to play like 6 times and it either doesn't load or I get disconnected from the server. I guess the game is too popular for its server or network connection.

The mice designs are cute though, and shamans are just generally awesome. Put them together, surely you have a good game.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Alceste on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:16 am

I couldn't get it to work earlier myself when I found it linked on VG Cats. Looks hilarious, though.
Alceste
Usurper

Postby The Tromboner on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:36 pm

You need to make an account it seems. I'm playing now.
^ Thank you, orual.
The Tromboner
Alphabet Soup

Postby Horseboy on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:04 pm

transformice rocks! its so simple and so silly but its incredibly fun.

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Martin Penwald on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:28 pm

Video, obviously. If you position your mouse on the bar at the bottom of the vid, the name for the current game is shown; clicking it stops the video and opens a new tab with a gameplay video of the game you just chose. Furthermore, all the games are linked under the video.
Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby Horseboy on Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:49 pm

i want to play them all

also, heres part 1 of the video

http://www.pixelprospector.com/indev/20 ... 0-minutes/

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Smasha on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Those videos are great and it is nice to see the 8-Bit Peoples get some love.

I was able to get Transformice to work by following Tromboner's suggestion. Thanks!

The game is loads of fun, though at the moment some of the levels are broken. Immediately after loading the levels where the mice start in a box intended to contain them, the box breaks and the mice fall free. In one level, they all fall to their death.

Apparently, the players who continuously wall jump flawlessly are cheating, by using an auto-wall jump script?

In other news, TANE has been updated, and it is pretty rad.

http://tane.us/
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Smasha on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:30 am

Image Image Image Image

To me, Increpare is the quintessential scratchware developer. His strengths include good use of sound and very good writing. Increpare's language is nothing less than refreshing, especially after playing indie games that deliberately use Engrish, after hearing so many people say games should be able to tell their stories without words, and after realizing that it seems to be a convention within Kyntt Stories to use a poor writing style.

A recurring theme in his works is the arbitrariness of the win condition. For those who would say some of Increpare's games aren't really games at all, the strongest evidence is Increpare's ambivalence toward the win condition. Some of his games have an implied goal, but refuse to end after the goal is reached. Some of his games give you a goal you cannot ever reach. Some of his games only end with your defeat, or require you to be defeated before you can win. Some of his games end, but offer endings that feel like losses because affairs have become worse in the game's world ever since you started to play. Another recurring theme is the analogy between gaming and mastrubation. Games often involve the obsessive repetition of simple action, games often encourage isolation, and games often prompt an overwhelming compulsion to push forward despite other priorities. Increpare accuses mainstream games of having a sexual subtext, a subtext he makes more explicit in his games.

Increpare isn't all good. Some of his "games" are really just demonstrations of mechanics or proofs of concepts, but are presented as if they are "art games" or as if they are minimalist by design. In this regard, he is pretentious. One of his games, Math Land, intentionally crashes your browser (and possibly your system), a nasty and unfunny joke. Some of his "games" badly disrespect the player's time. He also seems to like Derrida and Lacan, the two most insufferable of the post-structuralist philosophers.

Below are the ten works of his I recommend most highly, but he has lots of others worth playing.

After scholars got access to his love letters, a new side of James Joyce emerged.

Maybe Increpare's best joke, but also a brilliant game concept that could be developed further.

Is this tragic, or exceptionally happy? Are we distressed or relieved? Do we win or lose? Is this the little death? Are we the victims of a joke? Is there impotence here, or sexual performance anxiety? Is this something like a digital and interactive Zen Kōan? Should we ask if love stories are ever adequate, are ever able to convey what they try to convey?

Yume Nikki in microcosm. My favourite of Increpare's games where

Could be a game, could be an interactive how-to, could be politically-motivated, could be an attempt to outdo Sim City and The Sims, could be an exercise in imaginative world-building on the part of either us or Increpare, or could be a parody of either our increasing reliance on rules and specifications or our increasing reliance on information technology. Whatever it is, it makes me feel a nostalgia for a utopia, but a utopia that is unusually cozy. There is certainly a tension between the format of the information and the world being described in that information.
Computer Aided Design would have been much better with a little more polish. There are too many typos, some embarrassingly bad. The Conflict / Resolution format is unnecessary and hardly relevant to most of the entries. If Computer Aided Design is a parody, I don't think the Conflict / Resolution format contributes enough to it.

This game didn't need any writing at all, but the snippets that are present successfully capture something of the tone of how we speak to our cats.

Balls-to-the-wall-hard horizontal space shooter. It introduces new mechanics every few stages; Trigger makes the very old stone of space shooters bleed. Especially nasty is that the new mechanics might force you to unlearn the skills you developed in earlier stages.
This game is longer than it might at first appear. Don't get too frustrated on the first stage, which is harder than the next two, I find.

The following three are my personal favourites of Increpare's games. If you can, play them late at night, alone, and in the dark.

Why, ohh why can't more videogames tell human stories, or offer believable and astute depictions of the kinds of suffering any one of us could actually experience? As technology has advanced and games present more and more realistic visuals, have the intimate relationships contained in games become any more realistic?

Sleep paralysis and the cold war, broadly construed.

A harrowing retelling of Jason Rohrer's Passage. The name "Defect" works on multiple levels. The sound sets the rhythm and tone exceptionally well.

There is one more game I'd like to discuss, though I don't recommend it as highly as the ten above. Judith, a collaboration between Increpare and Terry Cavanagh.
http://www.increpare.com/2009/04/judith/

An interesting but failed experiment. Why play this game when you could read this short story, or see this movie, or watch this play? Perhaps control over a character helps us empathize with him or her better. Our ability to control the footsteps of characters helps us to put ourselves in their shoes. But whatever facilitation of empathy this control grants, it isn't enough to make up for the distraction and discomfort of the game shoehorning us along a predetermined narrative path. It is jarring that I can control someone's movement in a room but not the order the rooms are explored. Further, rather than helping me relate to the character, it just highlights the distance between us when I want to explore more today but Judith, confused and afraid, wants to leave the secret passage.

In particular, it makes no sense that certain doors should become unlocked when they do, and that the game should take control over the character's footsteps when it does (excepting maybe during the flight into the storm). Also, the yes / no options we are presented with are highly artificial. If we select no the story will not progress, and we will just be presented with the same option again. Surely, these yes / no options serve one function. They provide a contrast to the final "option," during the confrontation with Bluebeard, where we can't even select no. But now I wonder what role that final option serves in the story. Perhaps all these artificial options are some kind of recognition of the similarly artificial options you see in RPGs, where someone asks you to do a heroic deed, and if you refuse you just get asked again. But what does this recognition do for the story at hand, in Judith?

Wouldn't this game be better if the story was more interactive? Maybe I don't want Jeff to disturb the bones and get the key the prisoner swallowed. Maybe I don't want Judith to kill the prisoner, and as a result Jeff never gets access to the key that will later save Emily. Maybe when Jeff reaches the locked gate he furiously tries to open it by force only to be knocked out by Bluebeard. The game would also be better if it didn't have a glaring plot hole. Not only is it unreasonable for Emily to get lost in the few seconds between when she enters the castle and when Jeff enters the castle, but it is also unreasonable for Jeff to expect that she could be killed and buried in the brief time he has been looking for her.

I did like the placement of the bookshelf you need to search to get Jeff to open the secret passage. The shelf with the misplaced book is positioned so that it will be the last shelf you find. This is good stage design (for lack of a better term). However, the best parts of the game, certainly, are the short conversations between Judith and Bluebeard at the end of each episode. The reading of intentions becomes complex quickly, and this multi-layered mind-reading is something much more present in literature and film than games. We suspect that he suspects that Judith has been exploring, then we suspect that Judith suspects that he suspects she has been exploring, and then we suspect that he suspects that Judith suspects that he suspects she has been exploring.

Anyway. Which of Increpare's games are your favourites?

Image Image Image Image
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Horseboy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:34 am

VVVVVV is on steam now, and it is cheaper until the 15th.

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Horseboy on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 pm

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby ~ on Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm

is sort of like All Of Our Friends Are Dead meets Earthbound. It's fairly short for an RPG, and not that difficult, so you can play it in one sitting pretty easily.
~
Crash Override

Postby Horseboy on Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:50 pm

http://www.supercratebox.com/

this is fun. collect crates for points. each crate gives you a new, random weapon.

Horseboy
Left Tackle

Previous

Return to Serious Business!