[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Ace!'s Recipe Thread!

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Ace!'s Recipe Thread!

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Ace!'s Recipe Thread!

Postby Buttercup on Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:55 pm

You have to add quite a bit to make them overly sweet, but they do add a new kind of texture, which is always fun. I usually add something garlic-y when I add the carrots, but to be fair, I add garlic to nearly everything I make.
Buttercup
Usurper

Postby leokef on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:24 pm

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with garlic. Although I've never heard of carrots and mashed potatoes before.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Buttercup on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:29 pm

My Gramma served them at Thanksgiving once a few years ago, it was the first time I'd seen them. Since then, it's pretty much the only way I eat mashed potatoes. :)
Buttercup
Usurper

Postby Tael on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:51 pm

Mustard + Mashed Potatoes = WIN.
Tael
La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Postby Horseboy on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:15 pm

Mashed potatoes + soup croutons = win

I am making baked chicken legs seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper and chili, baked potatoes seasoned with garlic salt, and some leftover bell pepper and onion which I will bake as well.

Edit: goddamn did it turn out delicious.

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby leokef on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Found an onion blossomer in a cabinet. From the looks of it, it's never been used. That's a little sad, so I'm giving it a shot. Bought a couple onions and some onion ring batter. Unfortunately, frying is not a practical option here, nor is making a huge batter for submerging the onion. So, I'm lowering my expectations. Going to make a smaller batter and use a brush to glob it on, then give it a bake. I only lack for seasoning. Think I'll just give it a sprinkle of salt and pepper.

Right now the onion's soaking in ice water per the blossomer's directions. Forty-five minutes or so and it'll be ready for coating.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Martin Penwald on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby Red Omen on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:25 pm

Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Martin Penwald on Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Yeah, I found the dish on wikipedia, but I didn't find anything about the appliance.

Your link lead me to , though. Might be it.
Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby leokef on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:44 pm

Yes, that's a fancy pants version of it. The one I found is some As Seen On TV $20 version. It actually worked really well: The onion blossomed almost perfectly. Unfortunately, the cooking resulted in disaster.

The batter process was not successful. Pretty much wound up with a baked onion sitting in a pile of goo. I really needed a dry crumb mix to dip the onion into after dipping in the batter, but I did not prepare one so I just seasoned the batter. However, the dish was salvaged with a quick fry on the skillet. The onion still tasted delicious and what parts of the batter had stuck were all right. It helped to have some zesty horseradish dip handy.

Ach! Forgot I have a box of Italian style bread crumbs. That might have helped.

Although you'd probably have to fry the onion for best results anyway.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby leokef on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:57 pm

All right, I'm going to try fried rice again. This time I'm going simple and hearty. I prepared the white rice today and it's sitting in the fridge. Actually got some good consistency out of it this time. When it comes time to fry, I'm going to do it all snap, crackle, pop. Oil, rice (chopped up and declumped), drizzle with soy sauce and a little sugar, pop an egg on top of it, scramble it all together, and I think I'll throw in some little ham cubes for the hell of it. And I'm going to work the heck out of it with a solid spatula. I at least feel confident that I won't get a big rice ball out of it this time.

While I'm at it, what are the opinions on homemade eggrolls around here. I was looking over the vegetable section at the supermarket and saw they had some wonton and egg roll wrappers. More trouble than they're worth?
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby soujiRo on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:02 am

I don't have any experience with cooking them, but I often help my mother in preparing the egg rolls. Usually for approximately below 10 egg rolls, we break 2 eggs into a small bowl to be used for gluing the skin together during frying. After spreading out the won ton skin (usually we use beancurd skin), dip a finger or two into the egg bowl and move your fingers over the skin. This helps the ingredients to keep together to give some shape to it. Also makes the texture of the skin slightly nicer tasting IMO. After you're done placing the ingredients on the skin, roll it up into whatever shape you want to, and before you "close" off the egg roll, dab your fingers into the egg again and smear it over the finishing part of the egg roll. That's about it.

Oh and ingredients we use usually are
-small pieces of chopped up prawns
-minced meat
-small pieces of chopped chestnuts

I think you can throw in some garlic or 2 types of minced meat for more taste...
Preparation is pretty easy and fuss-free, frying even more so. Goodluck with it and take pictures haha
soujiRo
Brother Grimm

Postby leokef on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:55 pm

That sounds fairly doable. Can you shallow fry those or do you deep fry.

My fried rice turned out all right, a little better than the first time I made it while being a lot easier. However, there's still a lot of improvement to be made. The frying remains the most difficult part. No doubt it would work best if I had a seasoned iron skillet (or wok for that matter). A good amount of rice material stuck to the bottom of the steel skillet I used. At the end, I wound up with a thick, cracker-like scale that was mostly rice and a little egg. Peeled it off, took a bite out of it and it actually tasted kinda good. However, the rice itself didn't really seem to fry.

Still, it produced a palatable result. Next time, going to try a better skillet and use some more delectable ingredients.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby soujiRo on Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:15 am

For the one with wanton skin, deep frying would be better for it IMO.
soujiRo
Brother Grimm

Postby Ace! on Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:28 pm

Why do I only discover after moving to a place without an oven?

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!