[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Let's learn a language.

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Let's learn a language.

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Let's learn a language.

Postby Eulogic on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:16 am

It's the language learning thread!

Everyone choose one or two languages, then learn them! Discuss your methods, setbacks, breakthroughs, tips, and other related crap here.

I have taken reading courses in German and a great deal of Latin and Ancient Greek. I am choosing to learn Italian and German, which are two of the most important modern languages in the field of classics. I will probably focus on Italian first, then move on to German. I am aiming for fluency, so I imagine that vocabulary will be my biggest stepping stone.

I realize that this is a pipe dream. Hopeless optimism is recommended.

Eulogic
Italian
German
Eulogic
The Problem

Re: Let's learn a language.

Postby FlankingLine on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:46 am

i should probably learn chinese because i owe them a lot of money
FlankingLine
Immoderator

Postby mobilisq on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:22 pm

i am going to learn simlish and create an alphabet for it
mobilisq
Chutzpah

Postby gorv on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:55 pm

speak english or get out
gorv
Inertia

Postby leokef on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

We couldn't write novels in our own languages. Now we're supposed to learn an entire new language? And write a novel in it probably? There is a word for your proposition, sir, and that word is 'madness.'
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby leokef on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:36 pm

But hey, I'm with you on learning German. I only took three years of it in high school and a year in college. I should be able to ask where the bathroom is in German at least.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Eulogic on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:59 pm

wo ist die toilette

the point isn't to learn useless tourist language though, because you can get by in another country without speaking a lick of the native language

the point is fluency!
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Smasha on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:12 pm

I kinda wish I could speak Mandarin. Or any of the languages my dad speaks - Greek and Macedonian.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby The Tromboner on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:23 pm

I know Spanish at a conversational level and am working on Mandarin Chinese, going into my 4th semester of it. 我会写汉字!
^ Thank you, orual.
The Tromboner
Alphabet Soup

Postby Blitz on Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 pm

I want to learn to speak Russian.
Blitz
Oingo Boingo

Postby Sauzer on Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:26 pm

i was teaching myself dutch at one point but learning is for nerds
Sauzer