[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Getting Published

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Getting Published

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Getting Published

Postby The Tromboner on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:11 am

I know I'm not the only person here who writes. My question is, have any of us tried to get published? I've been writing a lot of little poems lately and gradually I've been cleaning them up. I've come to realize that I have a great few poems that I would like to consider submitting to somewhere. But I honestly am not sure where to start.

Has anyone tried? Any tips?
^ Thank you, orual.
The Tromboner
Alphabet Soup

Re: Getting Published

Postby leokef on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:21 am

College literary magazine's the best place to start. 'Course I tried that once, submitting five stories even as I sat on the selection committee. All five got passed over. The lesson is: never try.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby leokef on Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:22 am

Or here's a more optimistic lesson: it's hard to find a person with good taste, but that doesn't mean you should ever give up. Don't let rejections stop you, no matter how many (or preferably how few) you get.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby pwb on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:07 am

I did my community college's literary journal class three times, and each time I had a work of mine published. The first two I'm pretty embarrassed of (the very first one in particular), but the latest piece, a short work of Conan the Barbarian fanfiction, I'm rather fond of. Now I can say that I am a published author and take some actual pride in it!

That's a good place to start, college literary journals I mean. I'm really not sure beyond that, to be honest.
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby CapnHulk on Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:36 am

There are many fine websites that will take all manner of erotic fanfiction.

Erotic fanfiction is the greatest literary form.
CapnHulk
Etymology

Postby leokef on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:32 pm

There's a big book called the , in various iterations, that offers a huge listing of publishers, magazines, papers and so forth along with submission guidelines. I had a version from a few years back that I can't seem to find now, but it seemed like a pretty good resource for finding places to submit your writings. You should be able to find a more recent version at your local library.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Confucius Rex on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:00 pm

I got a poem published once.

Confucius Rex
Usurper

Postby stan on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:03 am

write a book

take it to borders

put it on a shelf