[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Recommend Me a Movie

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Recommend Me a Movie

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Recommend Me a Movie

Postby Kingpun on Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:38 pm

honestly it was a terrible book. the whole subplot where harry learns the thing that lets him win in the end was the most awkward series of infodump inserts ive seen. ayn rand was more subtle
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Red Omen on Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Ace! on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:30 pm

This is precisely why I stopped watching the movies after the fourth one. That one needed to be split in two, and the movie excised so much that it was unintelligible. So I stopped going and just enjoyed the books, because they were quite good, even the last three that were, admittedly, a little bloated.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:32 pm

Also, the verdict is in, the magic has left Christmas Vacation. We made it an hour in before calling it DOA. It's not funny and tries too hard and it's made up of unrelated episodes that don't come together into a cohesive whole. It was frustrating, boring and simply not funny.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby mobilisq on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:34 pm

am i the only person here whose only knowledge of harry potter comes from brad neely's excellent "Wizard People, Dear Reader"?
mobilisq
Chutzpah

Postby Martin Penwald on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Well, I don't even know that, so I guess I'm at the very bottom as far as knowledge about HP is concerned.

Anyway, I watched Forrest Gump while babysitting my nephew yesterday. It had been a while since I enjoyed it last, and I forgot just how great that movie is.

One thing that really annoyed, though, was the soundtrack of the whole Vietnam episode. I understand that the producers/audio-engineers tried to use well-known songs of certain eras to make the scenes taking place in these exact eras more immersive, but they really went overboard in Vietnam. It's just one song after another; sometimes, it sounds as if you're listening to a medley.

Oh, and fuck the book. Seriously. I know everyone knows this, but fuck the book.
Martin Penwald
Omelette Elemental

Postby Horseboy on Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:42 pm

they should have used the word is the bird

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Red Omen on Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:29 pm

Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby ploppy on Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 am

Everyone go see True Grit for the love of god
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby leokef on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:07 am

I'd love to.

I The good news is that Michael J. Bassett has talent, so his take on Silent Hill has a shot at working. The bad news is that Solomon Kane doesn't entirely work, although it's a solid effort. The character comes from Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan the barbarian. However, this film lacks the raw life force of Milius's adaptation. Bassett's adaptation seems to suffer acutely from an uneven pace and muddled theme. Regardless, I find it tragic this did not apparently get any decent theatrical treatment in the US. It is superior in almost all ways to crap like Jonah Hex.

The film starts off with a bang: a brilliantly realized scene of plundering in North Africa. James Purefoy gives his most vigorous performance in the film here, and his Kane initially carries about as much bluster and bravado as Schwarzenegger's Conan--albeit with a much more sinister enthusiasm. Bassett shows off some creative flair as he pushes his characters effortlessly through a vicious siege, to a stunning moment of supernatural horror in a hall of mirrors, and finally into a rocking encounter with the grim reaper. In this opening sequence, Bassett pulls off a minor trajectory, establishing Kane's sins and depicting his descent from successful knight to devil's soon-to-be chattel.

Then the film settles into a weird rhythm. Based on the beginning, you might have expected a fast-paced, action-driven epic. On the contrary, Bassett's film actually tries to break down that model. He tries instead to develop the character of Solomon Kane and chronicle his personal battle with evil--not so much the external battle but the internal conflict. The outcome of confrontations with the devil's minions hinges less on Kane's combat efficacy and more on his resolve to fight, especially when horrifically provoked. I appreciate this moral nuance and focus on character for the way it runs against the grain. Some of the fighting in Kane is purely psychological, as when a minion attempts to convince him that the girl he intends to rescue is dead.

However, Kane does have to kill more people eventually, and the way his path to redemption changes after that doesn't make much sense. A lot of the damage could be undone simply by excising one bit of dialogue with Pete Postlethwaite. Still, certain battles fail to thrill. The final battle with a hellish construct doesn't even happen. The beast takes only a few steps before Solomon sends it back to where it came from. Seems rather possible Bassett was simply in over his head. Or maybe he ran out of time and resources. Either way, the final scene winds up a mix of awesome imagery and concepts and mediocre execution.

Despite the mixed execution, Kane still succeeds as an origin story. Bassett clings to a tightly woven narrative that basically gets the job done. The film has excellent production values and a memorable hook with its extremely reluctant hero, even though a franchise looks to be out of the question at this point (despite the obvious setup). I feel disappointed only because the film started so strongly and then failed to live up to its full potential. Yet it's worth seeing once.

I hope Bassett gets to do a Silent Hill film his way and with the right amount of resources. This guy could be the next PWSA, and I say that as a compliment (what with PWSA being my favorite working filmmaker at the moment).
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby BaconFat on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:32 am

BaconFat
Teuton

Postby ploppy on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:58 am

Leo you should really see it before the year is over. It's an amazing film to end the year with.
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby Ace! on Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:40 am

So, our Christmas movie series is now over. Not a bad week, all told, although we didn't get around to A Christmas Story, which is kind of too bad. We watched:

Bad Santa
Elf
Scrooged
A Muppet Christmas Carol
Jingle All The Way
Die Hard
Half of Christmas Vacation
Charlie Brown Christmas/How the Grinch Stole Christmas
It's a Wonderful Life

We just watched the final Christmas movie (as Christmas as Die Hard, anyway), The Ice Harvest. I first saw this movie years ago, back in China, and I loved it then. I was dismayed to hear that it came and went in the states, but not really surprised. Harold Ramis has been hit or miss in the past ten years, and his name isn't really a draw, but you'd think John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton in a noir heist film would have at least registered, but alas. Hardly anyone I know has even heard of it, and that's a real shame.

The Ice Harvest is a well done heist film that's not actually about a heist. The robbery takes place before the film actually starts, and the first scene is Cusack and Thornton discussing their next move over a bag full of money. The rest of the film slowly unravels, as they all do, and while it's not surprising, it's wonderfully well written and just a joy to listen to (disclosure: one of the screenwriters is Richard Russo whose second and third novels are two of my all time favorite books).

Over the years my opinions on film in general have mellowed (as I'm sure many of you can attest). In the past I would often become frustrated when films I loved didn't get recognized by everyone as being great (and, conversely, when films I didn't love became recognized by everyone as being great), but now, I really just get frustrated when great films don't get recognized by anyone at all. That just makes me sad.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby pwb on Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Christmas Vacation isn't great but man that lingerie salesgirl!! Hoo boy.
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby mobilisq on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:17 pm

hey who has seen ghost world

it is worth watching

all full of somewhat dry humor
mobilisq
Chutzpah

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!