[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Recommend Me a Movie

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Recommend Me a Movie

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Recommend Me a Movie

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 am

leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:18 am

Isn't Bane supposed to be incredibly smart, despite his usual representation?
Alceste
Usurper

Postby Red Omen on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Wikipedia says he's a brilliant strategist. It's got a quote from Ra's al Ghul saying he's the most deviously intelligent man he ever met, so that says something.

Why the hell the smartest man in the world likes to wear a muscle shirt and a luchador mask is beyond me. I was expecting more of an Ozymandias type myself.
Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby ploppy on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Why they didnt go with the obvious Javier Bardem for Bane is beyond me.
ploppy
Angel's Friend

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm not very familiar with his comic history, but certainly a measure of intelligence had to be tacked on to him so that he wasn't some one-note Hulk-like antagonist. Nevertheless, this is what he is in a nutshell:

So how Nolan and co. will rewrite this into something more reasonable and applicable to their universe should prove interesting.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Red Omen on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm

At least they're not trying to rewrite Robin.
Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Eulogic on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm

In the comics, Bane basically wears down Batman by releasing all of his other villains, then determines his secret identity and breaks his back.

His first run is OK, but pretty much all subsequent appearances have been lackluster. I imagine Nolan will be seriously reimagining his character.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Ace! on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:40 pm

He's also only that hulked out because he's on a super-steroid that's pumped into his body at all times. Without constant drugs, he's a shell of a man. Same thing happened to The Riddler during Knightfall, if I remember correctly.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:51 pm

That's the weird thing. I can't imagine them using Venom in the film. I guess they used Scarecrow's fear toxin in the first movie, but super strength serum? It just seems too comic booky for the realistic crime universe Nolan's kept the films in. Serious reimagining sounds about right.

But seriously reimagining Bane and giving him to an English actor begins to sound a little ludicrous. Why not just go with someone less distinctive, like Black Mask as was rumored.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby Ace! on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:08 pm

The nice thing about Bane is that he's the only person (until late last year) who ever killed Batman. That's a pretty awesome way to go out in a story that has been anything but light.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Did he actually kill him?
Alceste
Usurper

Postby Ace! on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:55 pm

I guess he didn't KILL him, but he made Bruce Wayne disabled. Last year, Bruce Wayne actually did die, and it was really kind of super dumb.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Ace! on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:54 pm

provides an interesting theory, directly to spite Morgan Spurlock, which might be part of its problem. The thesis of the film is that fat is good for you and that by making good choices and being honest to your viewers, a month eating fast food won't make you fat, as Spurlock suggested.

Thankfully, very little time is spent to directly debunking Spurlock's film (in part because there doesn't seem to be much factual evidence to debunk) and more time is spent analyzing fat consumption, scientific studies and the real cause of obesity.

It's filled with goofy animation and silly music, both of which made me a little embarrassed for the filmmaker, but it thankfully wasn't enough to make me lose interest. It's a well made film and deserves more attention than it received (which was none, I believe). In many ways it reminds me of Michael Moore Hates America, which is a better film, but rallies against the status quo of the film industry, namely that its Patron Saints of the Documentary Film weren't entirely honest with their portrayals of America.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Eulogic on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 pm

This thread has been temporarily locked to test the usefulness of the subforums. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Eulogic
The Problem

Previous

Return to Serious Business!