[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Unmod D&D Game New Thread - 14/10 at 11:00 eastern (dst?????

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Unmod D&D Game New Thread - 14/10 at 11:00 eastern (dst?????

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Unmod D&D Game New Thread - 14/10 at 11:00 eastern (dst?????

Postby Kingpun on Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 am

when is daylight savings time starting anyway, that could be important!

Ok this is my world now. My rules. :thumbsup: :buffr:

We are playing Dungeons & Dragons 3.5th Edition.

The basic concept of this setting is that on this plane things don't stay in the same place relative to each other. So, if you're wandering around in the wilderness you never know where you're going or what's behind that hill you just passed. Major settlements and various other things are held in place relative to each other by some sort of magic or something you dont really know much about.

In particular, though, if you're familiar with the cities you are very familiar with the anchor lines, which are really huge big enormous cylindrical things that can be hundreds of miles long. These cables follow the paths of trailblazers that forged routes between growing towns and are the connections that allow any sort of organised trade & cultural exchange to exist.

By necessity, caravans between cities follow the roads along these lines. The current party is made up of five unrelated (as far as we know) individuals who happened to be travelling between the cites of Larebes and Pondara with one particular caravan.

They are:

Valdis Specht - A formerly-rich dilettante and misogynist, who was finally found his true calling maliciously spreading infection, specifically sexually transmitted ones - Eulogic
Chuck Hardslab - Strong half-ogre he throw big rocks - Gorveg
Lawrence Akers - A spell-slinging mage from a military academy, but which academy, and why? - Flankingline
Randall Hardwick - A merchant with a solid eye for bow shots - Lightbunny
Ethan McCloud - Stays up all night thinking about fencing moves, and protection spells - Red Omen

I have character sheets for everyone, but could anyone who made last-minute changes, like Gorveg, give me the final pre-game versions, including all equipment and last minute ability swaps and whatnot.

Session times are unchanged from the last game. We'll be on every week unless I say otherwise. I'll try to post a reminder before the game each week, but even if I forget that I won't forget the session itself.

Some additional notes:

- There are no psionics in this setting. I might allow non-psionic versions of a few classes like soulknife, but in general it's not happening because there are no people with psionic powers. Don't bother reading the psionics books if you're looking for material for this game.
- New characters for the campaign are starting at level 5 with 9000gp worth of gear. No character will have a level adjustment, however if you're playing a race that is normally LA+1 I may start you at level 4. I would rather not have LA+2 races in this game but I'm open to making exceptions or using modified versions if that's what you really want. You will start with the 9000 gold regardless.
- I don't really want to deal with too many variant rules from books like Unearthed Arcana, and in particular I'm explicitly banning the "bloodlines" rules from that book, because they are terrible.

I'll edit this if I've missed something particularly important, but that should be enough for the basic outline.
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Re: Unmod D&D Game New Thread - 14/10 at 11:00 eastern (dst?????

Postby Kingpun on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:27 am

Of course, the first game has already happened. Now where was I.

Chuck, Valdis and Lawrence got talking to each other along the way, and at the second rest stop decided to deepen their new-found friendship by pounding each other into the dust. Inside the inn, which was of an impressive size for such a small rest stop, Chuck found a huge man with even greater strength than his, but also even less versatility. Lawrence found chicken tenders, but they weren't quite as filling as he'd hoped.

On the road once more, the caravan was suddenly attacked by literally thousands of orcs. Our heroes jumped to help the mercenary gnolls defend the wagons, while the well-disciplined city guards defending the lead carriage, half of whom had fallen motionless at the beginning of the assault without apparent cause, marched to their doom against what turned out to be a trio of gargantuan purple worms. Though our heroes had slain each a million of the swine, the orcish horde seemed only to grow as more and more swarmed into view. With the disappearance of the caravan owner and the sighting of 3 more worms to the rear, retreat away from the road seemed the only option.

Chuck, who had bravely(?) charged into the oncoming orcs to get a better look at the enormous worms, was the last party member to leave the melee. In his haste, he was badly wounded and only by chance avoided many nearly fatal blows. Steve Gnoll, right behind Chuck, was not so lucky, and was grievously wounded while attempting his escape. Ethan, until now sleeping soundly on one of the wagons, finally woke at the commotion and used his magic to make an extremely abrupt retreat, joining the others. The gnolls returned to aid their fellow, but things looked grim. One of the massive worms advanced on the wounded mercenary as the party fled out of sight.

Running into the safety of a gloomy, mostly deciduous forest, the party paused just beyond the tree line to regroup. Looking behind themselves, they saw only a placid and sunny beach. Of the anchor line, and civilisation, there was no sign.

REWARDS:
Level 5 guys: 640xp (10640 total)
Level 4: 683xp (6683 total)
Ethan McCloud: 150xp (10150 total)
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Red Omen on Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:56 am

I've made a couple alterations to my character sheet, so I'll throw up a new one soon. Fixed some mistakes, changed gear.

Also, I did use a variant class feature from Unearthed Arcana - I forfeited my familiar for the ability to give people Resistance to Energy 5 for 1 hour by touch once per day. (I'm an Abjurer.) That will go up to 6 next level, and it won't go any higher.
Red Omen
Sit, Admin, Sit! Good Admin!

Postby Kingpun on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:50 am

ok fine
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Red Omen on Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:17 am

I mostly just hate familiars.

Here's my thing. I made a few mistakes calculating hit points (forgot Con bonus) and attack bonus (forgot Weapon Focus). Also switched out a bunch of potions for a Healing Belt. Never really looked at the Magic Item Compendium until now, and I wish I'd checked it sooner. It's got some cool shit.

I'll type up a backstory when I get time.
Attachments
Ethan.zip
(158.69 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Red Omen

Postby Eulogic on Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:06 am

Also in the hotel I spat on a girl who resisted my pick-up lines out of petty spite and a mean sense of humor. This could be an important plot point.

And I beat Gorveg in a very close 1-on-1 before the game started using cheap tricks and all of my items.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby FlankingLine on Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Lawrence grew up as a bright kid in a happy family, until his father was drafted into the military when Lawrence was only 10. His father never returned home and was presumed dead in a violent battle (though he's actually probably the final boss). These tramautic events inspired Lawrence to join the military at the earliest possible oppurtunity not to avenge his father, but to become more powerful and help his kingdom.

He began his training as a wilderness scout and ranger, but he felt his mental prowess was being wasted in such a role. Recognizing his aptitude, his superiors put him in a program to become a battlefield mage. His existing talents with wilderness tracking, survival, and fighting nicely complemented the powerful magic or a warmage. The training was incredibly demanding, both physically and mentally, but Lawrence came out on top, graduating near the top of his class.

He was given command of a small party whose task was to move swiftly around the allied ranks and provide fire support wherever it was needed. During one particular mission, Lawrence's entiry party was wiped out, save him. He blames himself for their deaths and considers himself an inept leader. He immediately deserted the military and is drifting from town to town trying to make ends meet.
FlankingLine
Immoderator

Postby Horseboy on Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:35 pm

Maybe I'll be back next time.

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby FlankingLine on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:53 pm

So, I want to take the Arcane Disciple feat for the Mysticism domain, but Complete Divine says that no dieties offer it and "Neutral, Lawful Neutral, and Chaotic Neutral deities would never have this domain."

You think Pelor or Heironeous (AKA Kingpun) would grant me this domain?

Just so you know what the feat does, it adds a single domain's spells to my Warmage spell list (which means I know them right off if I can cast spells of that level), but I have to have the appropriate wisdom score and it uses my wisdom rather than charisma. Also you can only use one per level per day. Granted, my wisdom is only 12 now, but I can guzzle a potion to use those spells once I learn stuff higher than level 2. But the spell list for Mysticism is really good.

Mysticism Domain Spells
1 Divine Favor: You gain +1/3 levels on attack rolls and
damage rolls.
2 Spiritual Weapon: Magic weapon attacks on its own.
3 Visage of the Deity, Lesser†: You gain +4 Cha and
resistance 10 to certain energy types.
4 Weapon of the Deity†: Your weapon gains enhancement
bonus and special ability.
5 Righteous Might: Your size increases and you gain
combat bonuses.
6 Visage of the Deity†: As lesser visage of the deity, but you
become celestial or fiendish.
7 Blasphemy/Holy Word: Kills, paralyzes, weakens, or
dazes non-evil/non-good subjects.
8 Holy Aura/Unholy AuraF: +4 AC, +4 resistance, and SR
25 against evil/good spells.
9 Visage of the Deity, Greater†: As lesser visage of the deity,
but you become half-celestial or half-fiendish.
* Choose good or evil version based on your alignment.

If not this, then I'll probably take energy substitution at level 6.
FlankingLine
Immoderator

Postby Lightbunny on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Won't be around this Thursday. Blizzcon.
Lightbunny
Pepsi-Cola

Location: Massachusetts. Keeping New Hampshire Nervous Since 2004!

Postby Red Omen on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:00 pm

Me neither. Lady.

EDIT: Wait - Canceled. Maybe.
Red Omen

Postby FlankingLine on Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:26 pm

FlankingLine
Immoderator

Postby Red Omen on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:07 pm

I just went up to Austin with her yesterday, so it's fine. And this was a big house party she was throwing, so it wasn't personal.
Red Omen

Postby Eulogic on Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:42 am

Eulogic
The Problem

Postby Red Omen on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:54 am

it is also the capitol of my state

funny how these things work out!
Red Omen

Next

Return to Serious Business!