[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Megathreads are literally hitler.

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Megathreads are literally hitler.

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Megathreads are literally hitler.

Postby JesustheDarkLord on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:45 pm

Every time I come back to post, I decide not to because these threads are too long and I don't want to read them and I don't want to post before I read them. I think I am going to lock and move to memory lane the threads that are over X pages long. Give me feedback first.
ImageImage
JesustheDarkLord
Site Admin

Re: Megathreads are literally hitler.

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Nah. Keep'em long.

Unrelated, the "View Active Topics" link seems to be broken as of today.
Alceste
Usurper

Postby mobilisq on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:57 pm

the smile thread is the kind of thing you can jump into at any moment anyway, be not concerned
mobilisq
Chutzpah

Postby JesustheDarkLord on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:05 pm

ImageImage
JesustheDarkLord
Site Admin

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm a fan of consolidation, especially when there's literally no point to moving the thread so another can be made, as Shadow gives a good reason for, if there's no actual (technical) issues with the first one. I'd rather just back through the current thread rather than go hunt down an old thread for the same purpose.

Really: what purpose does the splitting a random-topic thread actually have?
Alceste
Usurper

Postby JesustheDarkLord on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:23 pm

The threads I was looking at:

570 - What Games are you all Playing?

309 - Recommend Me a Movie

88 - The Official Book Thread (This is not really official btw)

219 - What are you listening to?

610 - And it made me __________

Only one of these is even arguably a "random-topic" thread. No one is going back and reading the Game/Movie/Book/Music threads and starting over with a new effort-post OP would probably be worthwhile.
ImageImage
JesustheDarkLord
Site Admin

Postby gorv on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:26 pm

I support memlaning

570 - What Games are you all Playing?
309 - Recommend Me a Movie
219 - What are you listening to?
610 - And it made me __________

There's really no reason to have them be that big.
gorv
Inertia

Postby JesustheDarkLord on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:32 pm

ImageImage
JesustheDarkLord
Site Admin

Postby Smasha on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:48 pm

We could institute a policy that whenever a thread reaches 100 pages it is Memory-Laned and created anew.

But I'm not really clear on what the problem is with them being as long as they are.

I've looked back more than ten pages on the book thread, the music thread, and the ebaumsworld thread. I also once recently looked back to find the episode where orual left.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:51 pm

Depends on the various periods in which I'm not keeping up with the forums. Really the only one would be the AIMMS thread, which is the only one that really gets enough posts to where it can grow an easy 10+ pages if a week has lapsed.

Hell, periodically someone makes a post in it about how they were rummaging through some of the more ancient posting and make the expected wistful remarks in regards to the times and people long gone. Then we get all teary-eyed and discuss our emotions on the matters while reflecting on the perspectives of then and now.

Really, the AIMMS thread is the only one I advocate leaving intact. The others don't really matter at all, though moving them over doesn't really have a point either. I guess if it makes you feel better?
Alceste
Usurper

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:54 pm

Alceste
Usurper

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:01 pm

If we were really organized, we'd get rid of the megathreads and create movie, music, and games forums.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby gorv on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:03 pm

We don't make threads anymore. It all goes into a megathread. The megathreads are daunting to look at, and make people that don't post often less likely to.

This also means that good threads can't be memlaned, because they're trapped inside the megathreads. When something DOES warrant splitting, its insane to try to do it because of the sheer number of posts in the thread.

I'd really like us to move away from the megathreads in general, really. Make more threads.
gorv
Inertia

Postby Eulogic on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm

Memlaning threads would actually make them easier to look through, as it would separate them into more manageable chunks.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby gorv on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:06 pm

gorv
Inertia

Next

Return to Serious Business!