[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - Megathreads are literally hitler.

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

Megathreads are literally hitler.

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

Re: Megathreads are literally hitler.

Postby Eulogic on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:12 pm

We had those. They saw virtually no use, and were thus damned to walk SerBiz as threads.
Eulogic
The Problem

Postby rem on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:14 pm

didn't you guys try this like a year ago? probably gerrymander the ___ thread into smiles, frowns, exclamations and cries
rem
Cantaloupe Island

Postby gorv on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 pm

I remember trying that as an fotm, that being the eventual fate of such forums.
gorv
Inertia

Postby Flamewave on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:18 pm

I don't see why it's so hard to read the last two pages since that's really all you need to do to catch up. It's not like the other 600 pages are going to rise up in the night and slit your throat or something and we're past the ADHD make a billion threads a day shit. If I wanted that I'd go to remod or something.
Flamewave
Usurper

Postby Ace! on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:23 pm

I would be all for trying separate forums out, especially if it meant people no longer felt like being here was daunting. It's not like any of these megathreads have a narrative through-line, though.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Sauzer on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Sauzer
Immoderator

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:39 pm

True enough. Just doesn't seem like memlaning the megathreads will change anything. The inevitable replacement threads will just turn into new megathreads unless we can think of a wise way to divide the topics up in the one forum.

I do think we should memlane AIMM_ and create separate smile/frown threads, though.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:43 pm

And maybe we should just make a daily grind/diary thread for community/blogging purposes.
leokef
The Sandlot

Postby JesustheDarkLord on Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:58 pm

I'd rather see a thread whenever someone reads/hears/watches a good whatever with some discussion, but don't make it a megathread. There's no need to stay strictly on topic in every thread but it's nice to be able to look at the list of thread titles and decide what to avoid for spoilers and what I might have input on. Like, right now I've finally gotten around to finishing the Song of Ice & Fire stuff that I started way back in middle school and I don't want spoilers. With the upcoming HBO series, I am pretty much just skipping any TV or book discussion.

Obviously, we don't need 30 threads a day for the minutiae of each person's life, but there isn't much risk of that. A new thread every week or two makes archiving and subsequent browsing easier, as Alex said, and threads that are fresh and new might inspire people who come around once every six months to hop in. I usually skip anything longer than about 5 pages because I am pretty lazy.
ImageImage
JesustheDarkLord
Site Admin

Postby Smasha on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Just to throw it out.

Another idea is to create indexes of content in a thread, to make it easier for people to jump to the discussion they are most interested in. This is what I have been doing in the indie games thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7127
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Alceste on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Alceste
Usurper

Postby leokef on Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:31 pm

leokef
The Sandlot

Postby The Tromboner on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:56 pm

If we memlane them, we could always just make a thread when we have something substantial.

As examples, Leo's grandfather is something that warranted a thread, as are Ace's current job woes.

I think it is good to have an AIMMS thread for small things, but it's always hard to tell what small post could spark a large conversation.

Is it better to have megathreads, or a bunch of small, underused threads?
^ Thank you, orual.
The Tromboner
Alphabet Soup

Postby dkhighwind on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:01 pm

This place is a dive bar.

JTDL is suggesting turning it into a Chili's.
dkhighwind
Tarantula

Postby Eulogic on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Worth a shot. Let's see how much use they get.
Eulogic
The Problem

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!