[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
UnMod.org • View topic - The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

UnMod.org

Today I found a new virus on the Internet.

The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

For general chat. Videogames, music, whatever. Moderated.

Moderator: None

SKIN?

ORIGINAL MOTHERFUCK
24%
CRISPY
53%
ERM I A FAGGOT AND LIKE ROTISSERIE
24%

Total votes : 17

Re: The Official Book Thread (AWESOMY BOOK CLUB ALERT)

Postby Kingpun on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:41 pm

im still pissed off about losing my hardcover Night Watch
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby BaconFat on Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:09 pm

I forgot about these... I'm downloading the lot and I'll put them on my kindle.
BaconFat
Teuton

Postby Buttercup on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 am

Buttercup
Usurper

Postby pwb on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:30 am

some classics are great some classics are really stiff and boring but you never know what you're gonna like until you give it a shot :flower:
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby Smasha on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:48 am

Gulliver's Travels is easily one of the very best novels I have ever read. Highly highly recommended.

Make sure you read it annotated, and preferably after reading some articles on the culture and politics of the time. Get a map of London at the time. I'm serious. Otherwise, you won't get the jokes, or appreciate his brilliance.

Then read Swift's shorter satires. And then read his two bedroom poems: "The Lady's Dressing Room" and "A Beautiful Young Nymph Going to Bed" (in that order!). And finish with the poem where Swift satirically kills himself: "Verses on the Death of Dr. Swift." And when you put it down sigh to yourself with a tear in your eye and say "No, Dean, it has been centuries, and we have never stopped mentioning you."

Ohhh God do I love Swift.

Last edited by Smasha on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smasha
Cantaloupe Island

Postby Ace! on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:57 pm

is what made me love Swift. This is amazing.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby Kingpun on Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:33 pm

haha thats great
Image (extinct)
Kingpun
Huey Lewis

Postby Horseboy on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:29 am

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Ace! on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm

You mean the Damn Interesting book? I can highly recommend it. It's basically a compilation of a bunch of articles on the site, but it's in book form! I used it a lot on my last school for reading classes, and it usually went over well.

I've been a huge DI fan for a few years now, and the guy supposedly is going to get started on it again. I can't wait. I've learned a lot from him/them.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby pwb on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:01 am

recommend me a book,

preferably something really good, and preferably before 9:30 am pst, when I have to leave for work in the morning!
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby Horseboy on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:29 am

Have some German pop music.
Horseboy
Left Tackle

Postby Ace! on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:49 am

Oh man, there is so much there that I want to recommend, but since time is short, fucking Frankenstein. I've read it at least six times, and I get more out of it each time I go through it.

Ace!
Indy, Cover Your Heart!

Postby pwb on Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm

I've already read The Hobbit and Frankenstein, and while I am a big fan of both I am sort of in the mood for something new! I guess my to-read list needs a little bit of tidying up. Neuromancer I've tried to read several times but I've never made it more than a couple chapters in. Thanks for the recommendations, though! I'm just gonna grab something at random and see how I like it. If you guys have any other ideas, though, please share them! I want to get back into the habit of reading all the time, because I thoroughly enjoy it.
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby pwb on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I grabbed Love in the Time of Cholera on the way out the door. Been a while since I sunk my teeth into some Marquez.
pwb
is pretty rad!

Postby BaconFat on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm at 82% of Neuromancer right now!! Like all genre initiating books its not as engaging as its later counterparts. It's very impressive how much of this shit Gibson came up with without much prior inspiration. It's also interesting how his depictions of cyberspace tend to be subtle and abstract rather than the perfect virtual reality video games we see in movies now (i.e. Matrix, Tron and Inception.) It's worth reading if you want to see the origins of cyberpunk but I'm struggling to truly follow what's going on or connect with any of the characters.
BaconFat
Teuton

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Business!